Community

• Database Management PhD survey

If you’re involved in database management, can you spare 20 minutes to complete a survey? Victoria Holt is studying for her PhD, and would very much appreciate it if you could help her out with her survey. Go on… Fill it in whilst you have a break over a cup of tea & a mince pie… Full in the survey here On behalf of Victoria, thanks

» Read more
  • Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock

I want to share with you some genius level work by Phil Quinn (blog | twitter), who is furthering the boundaries of SQL Server.   Phil has taken the spatial drawing code from an earlier Frog-blog and used it to create a fully functional Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock game, just using the power of SQL Server. Not even the brightest boffins at Microsoft could ever have imagined that SQL Server would be able to provide such an awesome…

» Read more
  • Still time to register for SQL Saturday 162 in Cambridge

Just a quick reminder, if you haven’t registered already then get yourself to the SQL Saturday website and register for the UK’s first ever SQL Saturday, in Cambridge on Sept 8th 2012. The presenter/session line-up is awesome – check out the schedule here. I’ll be presenting a talk at 3:50pm on a better way to load data warehouse dimensions. I’m also proud to say that Purple Frog are sponsoring the event. There…

» Read more
  • Speaking at SQL Saturday 162 in Cambridge

I’m thrilled to have been selected to speak at the UK’s first SQL Saturday event – A big thank you to the organisers, I’ll already buzzing about it! SQL Saturday #162 is being held in the fabulous city of Cambridge, with two days of awesome content. Pre-Con Training Day: Friday 7th September 2012 Free SQL Saturday: Saturday 8th September 2012 Full details on the SQL Saturday website here. I’ll be reviving my talk…

» Read more
  • SQLBits X Video available

SQLBits X Video Now available The video of my talk at SQLBits X is now available on the SQLBits website here. The talk was focused on presenting the results of my MSc Business Intelligence dissertation, comparing the performance of different methods of using SSIS to load data warehouse dimensions, specifically type 2 SCDs. The talk also covers a comparison of the performance between traditional hard disks and solid state storage systems such as…

» Read more
  • SQL Relay Agenda Announced

SQL Relay: Free, Full Day SQL Server Events If you’ve not heard the news yet, then where have you been hiding?! With SQLBits X such a phenomenal success, but already a distant memory, we’re all looking for the next SQL Server community event to learn, network and enjoy. The 2012 SQL Relay, following on from the great inaugural events last year, have now been announced and registration is open. Where are they? Monday 21st May –…

» Read more
  • SQLBits X talk – Loading Data Warehouse Dimensions

I’m thrilled to have been asked to present another session at SQLBits X, especially so as it’s set to be the biggest and best Bits yet. It’s the official UK launch of SQL Server 2012, and as such there’s an impressive collection of Microsoft folk attending and presenting, alongside the MVPs and internationally renowned speakers that we now come to expect at SQL Bits. The Saturday is now sold out, but (as of writing this)…

» Read more
  • SQLBits 9 Session – PowerPivot and QlikView 101

Thank you to the SQLBits committee, speakers, helpers and attendees, for making SQLBits 9 one of the best yet. What a great example SQLBits is of the power of the SQL Server community coming together to help each other, and enjoy a few beers in the process! I was delighted to have my “PowerPivot & QlikView 101” session chosen by the committee, which I presented on Saturday afternoon. Thank you to all those who attended, great to…

» Read more
  • New UK SQL Server User Groups

What an exciting few weeks we’ve got to look forward to! SQL Bits starts on Thursday this week which promises to be another fantastic event. I’m speaking on the Saturday, presenting a session on QlikView and PowerPivot. When I’m not speaking I’ve got a list of duties as long as my arm, from marshelling to room monitoring, and of course representing the Community Corner. If you’re interested in SQL events local to…

» Read more
  • Midlands SQL Server User Group now a PASS chapter

Back in September 2010 I spent another evening with the Cardiff SQL Server User Group, run by Adam Morton. Having got so much out of the Cardiff group since its inception, both as an attendee and as a regular speaker, it struck me as a shame that there wasn’t a group represting the SQL community in my area of the UK, the Midlands. Following a few conversations with Adam Morton, Tony Rogerson, Chris Testa-O’Neil and others, Hollie (my…

» Read more